Monday, July 11, 2011

Coke and Cookies

So, if you haven't heard yet, I had a bit of an adventure on Friday. I was chatting with our admin at work at about 11:00am and all of the sudden I started to feel a little woozy. I told her that I was going to go sit down and slowly headed back to my office. Before I made it there I apparently turned around and I looked at her and said, "I think I am going to pass out." Then I went white and hit the floor.

I woke up thinking, "Wow, I am so comfortable. Aren't I supposed to be at work? Um, I think I am at work. Oh, no. That did NOT just happen." Then I heard someone saying, "You need to call 911." At that point all I can think is, "NO! I am on student insurance. I am not working all summer long to pay for one freak of nature fainting spell!" I roused myself as quickly as I could and convinced my co-workers that I was alright. I got up, sat on a chair, rethought that action and sat on the floor and was soon surrounded by anxious co-workers. They were talking about what I needed and sugar was the first thing on everyone's minds. They all went their separate ways and then rushed back in with a coke, 3 chips ahoy cookies, a fruit cup.

I was ordered to eat all of it (which I did) and then they went to get the building doctor. He came in, asked me a couple of questions and told me to rest, get some fluids (not Coke), and left me with a mostly clean bill of health. My sister came to get me and I left my poor little car in the parking garage, as I had been prohibited from operating a vehicle. I ended up at the Student Health Center at BYU and it was there that I was informed that my blood pressure was frighteningly low and my electrolytes were seriously out of whack. Oops. This doctor also recommended rest, and fluids, but maybe not quite so much water...

I may have gone up to Park City that night, down to Manti the next morning and then crashed at 5:00pm.  I did not officially wake up again until 7:00am. Consider me fully rebooted. Yikes.

I am still a little freaked out that I might randomly loose consciousness, and everyone in the office seems a little leery of me, but I am fairly sure that as is well. Even though I do plan on drinking a lot of Gatorade and walking a little more carefully around the office for the next couple of days.

Not quite the way I had planned on having my Friday go...

3 comments:

heidikins said...

Yikes! I'm glad you're okay, keep guzzling that Gatorade!

xox

Karen Ella said...

Woman! You MUST be more healthi...er. :) Can't stand to hear that my Miss J isn't well. No good.

Lindsay said...

scary!! glad you are ok and hope it was just a one-time thing...