Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Noble MPA

What is an MPA, you may ask yourself. Most people have no idea. When I tell people that I am going to school for an MPA, the say, "MBA?" "No," I reply "P, PA". Masters of Public Administration - nonprofit, local government. We are out to save the world! To serve our communities! To make a difference! We are noble, we are honest, we are true! No offense to the MBAs out there, but they call us "The MBA with a heart." Isn't that precious? I think it is because we pay the same tuition as the MBAs, but will probably end up making only half of their salary. And because we are such nice, sacrificing, community-minded folks.

With this background, I hope that what I am about to say will strike you as amusing. I think it is just more funny if you know. After HR today one of the girls on my team said, "Well, I guess we are going to have to go find some other place to study, they blocked off two aisles of the cubicles this morning." What? How did anyone expect me to live (be productive) without the quiet haven of the cubies?

I decided to scope it out anyway. I had to walk from Africa this morning because there was no parking, maybe the cubie gods would have mercy on me. As I turned the corner, I saw the caution tape, and then I saw people. People behind the caution tape. 9 of the 12 cubicles that had been blocked off were filled with fellow MPA students that had hopped over the caution tape and into study heaven. I didn't take more than a split second for me to decide to join my friends. I hopped over the tape and felt at home, and maybe just a little bit rebellious.

We are noble, we are honest, we are true! Out of the way BYU! No caution tape is ever going to keep us back. We have a world to save!

1 comment:

Andrea Jolene said...

Er... and I'm also getting my MPA but at the U. Suddenly, we're meant to be friends in so many ways!