Monday, February 7, 2011

6.5

I went home last Friday night. My mom lives about 20 minutes away and somehow I just don't see my family as much as I wish I did. I had a slumby with my mum and spent the morning chatting with my sister and her bff. We talked and laughed and I told LOTS of stories because I may have been wishing that the sun would come out. I had a 6 mile run scheduled and the weather was not looking friendly. However, things brightened up a bit and I headed out to pound the pavement. I will tell you here that I have never run 6 miles before. This was to be a big day. It was good that I was at home, because the idea of new scenery definitely made the miles seem a bit more possible. I decided to turn my run into a nostalgia tour and so I headed up toward Highland.

First stop: Mount Timpanogos Temple
Yup this is actually better weather than the 2 hours before when I had been planning to run

When the temple was being built we lived up the street, maybe a mile and a half. It seemed like a million miles away when we would walk down to the site. Being a grown up is funny because things get a lot smaller and time goes by a lot faster. I love this temple. I helped lay the sod, took a tour of the building when the Celestial Room was just a big cement room, and volunteered during the open house. I attended the dedication and got to sit in a sealing room for it. I went to early morning temple trips with my young womens group and I went through the temple for the first time here. I love this temple.

Second Stop: Lone Peak High School
Lone Peak: A World Class High School

This high school was built for me. I was part of the first class to go all the way through high school in this building. By the time I got to the school I had gone about 3 miles and was ready for a drink. I walked inside and noticed that my old theater teacher's door was open. Janky and all I couldn't resist going into see him. I may have looked ridiculous, but it was " I am doing incredible things will my life ridiculous", and I was ok with that. Grad school? Why yes! Athlete in training? Of course! I missed my ten year because I was in China, so I guess this was my one chance to go back to high school and let someone know that I was out in the world doing great things. Pathetic? Maybe. Satisfying? Oh, yeah.

Last stop: My Old Neighborhood
Yup, my old home is now a rest home

We first moved to Utah in 1993. We moved into a big squarish house that had seafoam green trim. It wasn't very pretty, but it was home. We had a huge yard and spend most of our time outside. We played in the irrigation water, climbed the trees, and had picnics on the roof. This neighborhood isn't far from where my mom lives now, but I cant remember the last time that I walked through there. We moved away from Highland just before I turned 16. 3 miles and 12 years away. I can still name almost every family that lived in each house in the area, where my friends lived, and who I babysat for.

By the time I was on my way back the sun had come out and the weather was divine. I felt like I could have gone on forever, but I had a very important mac and cheese appointment to keep with my baby sister who isn't really a baby anymore. Altogether it was a great day and an awesome run.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey that was nostalgic for me too. Thanks for sharing your run.

Camilla said...

Yay running! And now you've run 7 miles!!! You are awesome!