Monday, January 24, 2011

The Salt Lake Half Marathon. WHA?!



OH. MY. GOSH. I. DID. IT.

I signed up for a half marathon.

Who am I?

For the two of you out there who don't know that I am going to run the Salt Lake Half, I will tell you that I have already been training for 3 weeks. I made up my mind that I was going to do it around the new year, but there was this teeny, tiny, little (MASSIVE) part of me that wasn't ready to commit. I have never done anything like this before. I am not an athlete, I am not even athletic for heaven's sake. I mean, I can ride a bike and swim a couple of laps, but run 13 miles!? What if I got injured while I was training? What if I died trying? What if I was never made to do this in the first place!? I will admit to being a little scared. Ok, fine, A LOT SCARED. But I have spent the last three weeks running, swimming, and talking up my endeavors to anyone who will listen. Every day I have felt a little bit stronger, a little bit more capable, and as long as I kept talking and people believed that I could do it, I figured that eventually I would believe me too.

Well, today I decided that I believe me. I can do this. So, I signed up. I am in. April 19th. Do or die. Probably die. But that's ok. I can't wait. I'm gonna rock this race.

I will be updating my adventures in training frequently, so stay tuned to find out how the geeky little theater girl becomes a distance runner...

Wish me luck!

7 comments:

heidikins said...

Daaaaang girl, that's intense. take luck!

xox

The Coopers said...

You can do it! Half marathons are super fun! Just long enough to be a challenge but not too long that you feel like death after. :) I might do that one too, I will have to see how I feel after I have this baby in a week. After your half marathon you should train for a full marathon! Those are super fun! Most of distance running is mental, so just make sure that your mind keeps telling your body to go and you will make it :)

Karen Ella said...

I gotta say, my favorite thing about this post is that I can totally hear you saying the title and it makes me giggle. "WHA?!" I know that voice. hee heeeee!

Wayne and Erin said...

You are going to be so awesome!!! Aliea says "Go, Go, Go!!!

sarah said...

Um. I HEART you. I thought you were Superwoman before I read this, but now I KNOW.

Camilla said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! I am so stoked! And you are my freakin' hero! Run Jennica, run!

Unknown said...

You'll do great! Wish I could run with ya. My darn knees and ankles HATE me. Good luck!