Friday, June 6, 2008

More Food Service Love (Exotic Style)


This could possibly be my third blog entry about being hit on whilst eating out. When I was in Europe I was hit on more than I have been ever, collectively, in all my 26 years of life. Most of it was when we were in or near food establishments. One of my favorites was at Trevi Fountain in Rome. It had taken the better part of the day to find it, we kept getting lost or distracted. We decided to get some gelato to reward ourselves for finding the fountain. We found ourselves standing in a busy, tourist infested gelato shop and two workers were chatting loudly and quickly across the counter in Italian. The next thing I know, the one who is standing next to me turns to me and says,

You are beautiful.

Thanks

I get off work at 9, come with me for a drink?

I don't think I could find my way back here.

Will you kiss me?

Why not?

(I kissed him on the cheek and he kissed me back, on the cheek)

Come with me for a drink?

I don't drink

You can have something else.

(At this point I am thinking, um, if I don't drink, I probably also won't be sleeping with you. Why are you so persistent? But he was)

He offered his co-worker as a date for Erin, but somehow we found the strength to continue to resists their Italian charms. On the way out of the shop he came back over and asked again. This time he offered me the opportunity to ditch my friend and go with him. Just him and me, and Italy. Tempting, but I stayed strong and lived through yet another fast food flirting experience. At this point I would like to say that I rejected him because it isn't a good idea to run off with gelato men in a foreign country, but it was mostly because he had bad teeth. Honestly, if the guy behind the counter had been the one doing the inviting, I probably would have found my way back to the gelato shop at the Trevi Fountain at 9 o'clock that night.

1 comment:

Hali said...

Now...had that been you and I, they probably would have forgotton to ask our names but given us their numbers ha ha!