Wednesday, May 18, 2011

COMMUTE!

I am now an official commuter. I drive about 90 miles every day to go to my internship and it is fun. So. fun. Remember how I said that the commute would be the hardest part. I was right. But I am doing everything that I can to make it a positive experience. Like I said, on the way into work I listen to two or three conference talks, but then I just take some time to think. Don't get me wrong, I am thinking ALL the time - it is a hard thing to turn off. But I rarely take the time to just sit and think. It is a little hard to avoid when you are in the car though, in the car there is no one else around, and distractions are incredibly easy to mange. So, it's just me - me and my thoughts. I haven't spent this much time with myself for a long time. It might take some time to get used to so much of my own quiet company. I think I like it. I think I have needed it for a long time.

On the way home I have been listening to The Help. I LOVE it. It might have made me cry a little bit on my way in this morning. Almost done. Any suggestions for a good audio book? The great thing about a good book, is that at the end of the day I actually look forward to sitting in the car for an hour. I can do this. I can!

Oh, and today I may have sweetened the commute just a tiny bit with a hot chocolate from Hatch Family Chocolates. If you haven't ever had their hot chocolate you should go get one right now. I am not kidding, drop what you are doing and go get one. It is rainy and cold, and there is nothing to cure the rainy day blues like a hot chocolate dialysis.

I am really ready for the sun to come out again, by the way. I love this weather in April, but news flash Mother Nature, it isn't April anymore! Now that I am spending 2 hours a day in the car I am finding it very difficult to get up in the early morning to run. (Any ideas of how to make an invention that lets you work out and drive at the same time?) I mean, the morning and I don't get along super well anyway, but rainy early mornings?! This is really testing everything I have. So, universe, if you are listening, my life would be a lot easier if you would send me a little sunshine. Just sayin. Thanks.

5 comments:

heidikins said...

I'm listening to The Help right now and I love the accents!! So great!!

xox

tphilosophia said...

This is the solution to your early-morning/commute/exercise dilemma: http://www.amazon.com/AB-Sonic-Electronic-Massage-Belt/dp/B000MVKVBA.

tphilosophia said...

This is Talia, by the way.

Hali said...

You're my hero. Glad you're surviving the commute :-). Take that universe!

Jaclyn said...

The Help as an audiobook is a great. Poisonwood Bible is also a great audio "read" with the different Southern voices. I'm listening to Tina Fey's Bossypants right now-- too funny. I'm also the queen of podcasts, so if you want suggestions for that, let me know.