Monday, May 9, 2011

Buster Keaton and the Race for the Cure

I have an internship! I am a real live, official, summer-interning grad student! I will be working with the Anne Stirba Cancer Foundation in Salt Lake. We will be planning fundraising events to raise money for the Hunstman Institute to support breast cancer research. I feel like it is going to be a perfect fit for me, and I feel incredibly blessed to be there.

Being up in Salt Lake proved helpful this weekend, as I was able to go pick up everyone's packets for the Race for the Cure! Kate, HRH, The Blur and I all decided to stay up in Salt Lake Friday night so we wouldn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to take Trax up to the race. So, I picked up all of our race packets after work and then headed over to The Organ Loft to meet the ladies for a silent movie. We saw Buster Keaton in "Our Hospitality". I think that the last time I went to a silent movie with a live organist was well more than a decade ago. We had a great time. The movie was surprisingly entertaining and well-paced. And of course, the organist was nothing short of a rock star. The venue was appropriately kitschy. The organ is bright purple and sparkley and is framed by a very classy neon green light up boarder. The audience was appropriately populated with a majority of geriatric patrons, but we all laughed together and had a wonderful time.

After the movie we went to Diva's. It is an ADORABLE cupcake place on 3300 s that has the most delightful deck with lots of cozy nooks for sitting, flowers and one great big magical tree with big lanterns hanging in it. When I grow up, I anticipate that my backyard will look exactly like Diva's.

Saturday morning we all got up, dressed in our matching running outfits and headed over to the race. There really is nothing quite like running with 16,000 of your closest friends. The greatest part of the race for me was the gradual incline that I remembered as a rather daunting hill from last year's race. I think I might just be a better runner than I was last year. Hooray!

I really do love this race. It is incredible to see all of the supporters who wear matching t-shirts, fairy wings, and boas, and sport messages of encouragement, love or even pictures of breast cancer survivors. The Race for the Cure is an awesome event and I am proud to have been a part of it again.


2 comments:

Heather said...

Yea and yea!

FAMEDS said...

Hi Jennica! Great to stumble on your blog! Have you heard of Freedom of Access to Medicines, the non-profit org leading the effort for the FDA to continue to approve Avastin this month for the 17,500 women with Metastatic Breast Cancer the drug is working for! Please sign and share the urgent petition: http://fameds.org/petition.php