Monday, February 25, 2008

You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks



Nothing to do on a Friday night? Why not take up a new sport? After participating in my two favorite activities, namely; shopping and eating Hatch Family pots de creme, Hali and I ventured over to the Olympic Oval in Kearns. $10 gets you two 2 hour lessons in curling. If you don't believe me you can check it out at www.utahcurling.com

I am always up for new thing, especially when I have someone else to experience them with. Going with Hali seemed like a fine plan, until we arrived and they separated the people who had been the week before from those of us who didn't even know what the game consisted of.

I was on my own. It was just me...and curling. As I stood there feeling incredibly alone amidst the strangers who stood with me on the ice, I thought that this was possibly the silliest thing that I had ever done.

However, by the end of the night I was sold. I wish I could describe it, but every time I try people laugh at me because they just can't wrap their heads around curling. But you should give it a try.

We were pros by the end of the evening. We played a game with the "old-pros". Hali and I were stellar sweepers. I am pretty sure that between her stone delivery skills and our sweeping talent, we single-handedly won the game. It was amazing.

I personally, am going to have to go back because I didn't get a chance to be the Skip.The Skip is the Yeller. That is what I called it, before I was so intimately acquainted with the sport. They get to yell at people. "Sweep! Harder, faster, harder, faster!" I love this idea. I used to just laugh about curling and tease about starting my own team just because it was funny. Now, it is more than a tease. This is it folks, the future is in curling.

2 comments:

Hali said...

Heck yes we were stellar! Pretty much we are the greatest curlers UVU has ever seen ha ha. Thanks for coming to play with me!

Katie said...

that was pretty much the coolest thing that i have seen in a while, and i lived in vegas! cant wait to go to one of your curling competitions, let me know when that are!