Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Graduation is almost here

My friend Heidi posted this on facebook today. It comes from a New York Times article about the impending graduation and subsequent future of America's college seniors. As my baby sister is going to graduate from high school on Friday, I took an extra special interest in the article. I really like the quote that Heidi pulled, and I think that it really would benefit a lot of graduates (and the rest of us as well) if they would take some time to ponder on this one.

"[We are] told to pursue happiness and joy. But, of course, when you read a biography of someone you admire, it’s rarely the things that made them happy that compel your admiration. It’s the things they did to court unhappiness — the things they did that were arduous and miserable, which sometimes cost them friends and aroused hatred. It’s excellence, not happiness, that we admire most."

Sticking to what you know is right, and persevering in the face of opposition is what will, in the end, help you to come out the happiest and most successful person you can be.

Good luck out there in the big blue world Lou! I am so proud of you!

1 comment:

heidikins said...

Such a great article, I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!

xox