Monday, October 1, 2007

Doing Dishes...Almost



I had a date on Friday. I went out with my best good 19 year old friend Steven. I absolutely adore that kid. We went to Ottavio's and walked in behind a couple that had been greeted by the manager as they stepped out of their Bently. It was like Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, and we were right behind the Rich and Famous. We sat across the room from them and I must admit that I spent a good portion of my time in that restaurant staring at the back of a rich man's head. I was curious. I didn't really learn anything. Oh, well.

We had a lovely meal, a man with an accordion strolled around and sang to delighted patrons, I ate more cheese that I had ever seen in my life and by the end were so utterly contented that we could have sat there all night and to just enjoy the atmosphere. But, we had a show to see so we asked for out checks and got ready to leave.

Now, I won't lie, I am a bit of a loser. I lose EVERYTHING. Most recently, it was my credit card. So, I had my check book with me. However, when I pulled my checkbook out, it was empty...and I was out of luck. Steven was a perfect gentleman and agreed to put my check on his card. So, we sent both checks away to be charged to his debit card.

When the waitress returned, she told us that his card had been declined.

Now we were both out of luck. I had this image in my head of the both of us in the kitchen washing the dishes of all the other people that had enjoyed the accordion players performance with us. Cleaning everyone else's cheesy plates. We both would have had to wash dishes for about 2 1/2 hours to make up for our meal.

And then, Steven to the rescue. He had his mother's credit card number memorized. They ran the number and we were free. I am sure she will be thrilled to see that charge. We left the restaurant and headed over to the show. Luckily, as we were both entirely out of money, we know the people who own the theater and we got in for free.

No comments: