Thursday, November 18, 2010

You, Me, and Sara B.

Last night Camilla and I took a little trip up to the Salt Lake to see the one and only Sara Barielles! We bought our tickets about a month ago and have been eagerly awaiting this day. Little did I know that I would have a test that would be moved to the 17th and a project that would also be moved to be due on that very same day. Yikes. The result was a lovely morning of skipping class to sit on my bed and take my 3 hour Econ test. (You think I just when I say lovely? I do not.) The less lovely was trying to cram my project into the remaining daylight hours. (Which are few, thanks to daylight savings). Well, I ended up taking my laptop along for the ride and working on my project whilst Camilla drove us in the Subaru(room)-of-requirement.

Have you ever worked on a laptop in a car before? I have watched movies on my lappy in the car, but this was a new expeirence. The sense of multi-tasking was exhilarating. I can, indeed, create excel spreadsheets while moving at 75 mph! Wow.

Well, we got to the concert in time to catch the last several songs of the opening act - Cary Brothers. Now, lest you think that this is a band of brothers, I will tell you that it is not. It is merely an unfortunate man with an even more unfortunate name. I will just say that, although marginally talented, as a whole he was rather disappointing.

Maybe I think back on it with such distaste was because when he finished up his set - nothing happened. Nothing. For more than 30 minutes.

The audience started chanting, "Sara, Sara, Sara" two different times. And she did not heed the call. Really?

Here is a picture of how we felt after waiting all. night. long. for Sara to come sing us some songs:















Here are all the people. Just standing around. Forced to listen to lame music. (I have never understood why music venues can't play something decent between sets)














After MUCH waiting...the show finally started!

Sara B. is phenomenal live. That girl can SING. I have nothing but inestimable respect for artists who sound better live than on their records. The show was high energy and the audience was great. We had some crazies around us that made the night that much better.

The end of the show came all too soon, but it certainly ended with a bang. During her last song, Sara got up ON THE PIANO and sang her heart out. Someday Sara B., someday. Camilla and I both now have a life goal to find a situation where we can get up on a piano and sing our hearts too, without getting in trouble. It will happen. No doubt.















Overall, the show was a wild success. And the icing on the cake was that they were selling the song book for Sara's new album. We have been looking for it for a bit now and it is nowhere to be found. Nowhere but here.

One the way home we cranked up the Sara B. and I worked away on my laptop. When I got home I was so full up of good music and tired that I promptly fell asleep (almost on my computer) and slept right through my alarm. So much for getting my project in on time - but totally worth it.

No comments: