Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Happiest Fall Break On Earth


The Happiest Fall Break on Earth started a week ago Wednesday. We left work just before noon and after 9 hours in the car,4 In N Out cheeseburgers, and 1 presidential debate, we pulled into Costa Mesa. We rolled down the car windows and took in the fresh, ocean-kissed, California air. With a beginning like this, the vacation was destined to be a success.

The next morning we woke early and headed for the Happiest Place on Earth. We parked in the Pinocchio lot and walked past a plethora of vans and SUVs that had also made the trip from Utah. In case you were wondering, UEA stands for Utahans Enter Anaheim. Our excitement mounted as we boarded the tram that took us toward Disneyland at a thrilling 14 miles an hour.

We got inside about 15 minutes before rope drop, and let me tell you friends, the second that rope dropped, the magic began. I am serious about the magic part. Somehow, whenever I am there everything falls into place. Magic happens.

Within the first 3 hours we were there we had ridden every ride in Critter Country, New Orleans Square, Adventureland and Frontierland. We got a VIP reservation at the Blue Bayou (when it was already booked for the next three days) AND we met Jack Sparrow!


The most magical moment for me was running into an old friend. Eight years ago my sister and I were at Disneyland celebrating her graduation from college and my graduation from high school. One day we went to Fantasyland and rode the tea cups, while we were there we thought it would be fun to get our picture in the Mad Hatter's hut. To achieve our goals we decided to get our picture taken with the ride operator. He was really nice and our picture turned out adorable. The ride operator's name was Rigo. We got a kick out of that. The next day, our brother went of to get some food and my sister and I embraced our freedom and ran over to Fantasyland (somehow it wasn't my 23 year old brother's favorite spot) Anyway, the park was slow that day and my sister and I were on our own. We could do whatever we wanted!! We went on the Snow White ride and the ride operator was Rigo! When we came out there was no one waiting to get on so we asked Rigo if we could go again. He sent us through 7 or 8 times in a row and we loved it every time. Being the geeks that we are, we shouted "Hooray for Rigo and hooray for the Snow White ride!" when we came out. A good time was had by all. At some point Rigo explained to us that his real name was not Rigo. It was actually Mickey, but - as it was the same name as a certain mouse - he had a different name on his name tag. We were all fast friends by the end of the morning.


My sister and I still laugh about that day and I think of it every time I go on the Snow White ride. Well, On our second day at the park Hali and I went to ride the Snow White ride and the ride operator looked extremely familiar. I glanced at his name tag and saw that it said "Mickey". "What is your last name?" I asked him. He looked at me and sardonically replied, "Mouse." I am sure that he thought I was just some cheeky guest making fun of his name. "No, seriously, what is your last name? I think I know you." It was Rigo. He said he remembered us, I seriously doubt that, but it was amazing that eight years later, on the same ride, I ran into my most favorite ride operator ever.

Thanks Mickey, for a very unexpected surprise!



Of course, Disney magic wasn't the only magic we experienced on the trip. Saturday night Hali and I headed up to Hollywood to see Wicked. It was my second time seeing the show and I loved it just as much, if not more than last time. P.S. Hollywood is everything fame and fortune are. When professionally displayed, it is all glitz and glamor, but when you are there and you see how it really is, it is one massive train wreck. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our evening. Besides the show, my favorite moment was when we were walking to find some food and passed a group of people that included a couple of guys that were conversing by freestyle rapping. It is moments like that when I truly treasure my life.


No trip to California would be complete without a trip to the beach and a teeny, tiny sunburn. And you know, the amazing thing is, after 3 days of adventure and 18 hours int he car - I still love my workmates. What luck. Oh, and it is possible that I got an annual pass to Disneyland. Anyone want to go back?

2 comments:

Lindsay Pace said...

YES! I will go back with you!

Nope said...

hey, how come i was not there!!!