Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Yesterday was my Mom's birthday and we spent the weekend celebrating. After many years of renting, my mom recently bought a house. So, for her birthday this year, we decided to do something wild and crazy that we haven't been able to do in years. We painted her closet doors blue. I know, it is a little wild. What can I say? We are a wild bunch. The project took two days. Day 1 was Saturday and it involved removing hinges, deconstructing doorknobs and moving the dull, cream colored doors outside. Needless to say, we felt very handy.

In the midst of all of this hullabaloo we stopped for some birthday celebration. The niece and nephew made "pupcakes" with their mum for Grandma. Let me tell you that there is nothing like a good pupcake to celebrate a special occasion!



Day 2 came after 2 days of waiting for paint to dry. I headed home after work Monday evening. While I was getting things ready to be returned to their proper place, my little sister was finishing up the dishes. This brought one of my favorite moments of my entire life.

My Mom shops at Costco and buys everything in bulk. Well, as fate would have it, bulk dishwashing soap looks an awful lot like bulk dishwasher detergent. The dishwasher had been running about 3 minutes when my sister started shouting for help. I came in and there were bubbles EVERYWHERE. They were pouring out of every crack in the dishwasher. It was a lovely sight. I wish that I had thought to take a picture the moment it had happened, but for some strange reason, I helped to clean up instead. This picture was taken several minutes after the initial incident. It isn't too shabby though. I don't think she will ever live this one down. It was great.




After much adventure, celebration and incredible handy work, we finished our project. Happy Birthday Mom!

2 comments:

heidikins said...

Look at you Miss Craftastic! Love it!

(Also, I have always always ALWAYS wanted to put laundry soap in the dishwasher...now if only I had a dishwasher...)

xox

Anonymous said...

haha! I've had the same thing happen with my dishwasher, twice! You'd think I would have learned the first time but no.